- 2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 2 squares (1oz) bittersweet baking chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 squares (1 1/2oz) semi-sweet baking chocolate, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line a dark, nonstick 9×9 square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Chop the bittersweet chocolate into small chunks and put in a large, microwave-safe bowl with the butter.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave. (Try short bursts, starting with 30 seconds, followed by 10-second intervals until the chocolate and butter are mostly melted. Then stir with a spatula until completely melted and uniform.)
- While the butter mixture is still warm, whisk in the sugar and mix until smooth. Then set the mixture aside and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- While the wet mixture is cooling, in a separate bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- When the wet mixture has cooled to room temperature, gently whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs. Mix just until uniform.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring just until smooth and uniform.
- Chop the semi-sweet baking chocolate into small chunks. Gently fold about one square (1/2oz) of the semi-sweet chunks into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining 2 squares of semi-sweet chunks (1oz) on top of the batter and lightly press them into the batter.
- Bake on the middle rack for 22-27 minutes. Edges should look crispy and top should look solid but be careful not to overcook. If you stick a toothpick in middle of the brownies the toothpick should come out nearly clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing and sharing.
Nutrition Per Serving: 167 calories; 9.9g fat; 19.6g carbohydrates; 1.6g protein.