I adapted this recipe from my basic banana bread. It’s a fairly straightfoward recipe, using pantry basics: eggs, oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, all-purpose flour and typical leavening agents. My family really likes chocolate chips, but other mix-ins like nuts or berries work well, too!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mini Muffins
- 1 medium very ripe banana (roughly 1/2 cup) mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar loosely packed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk mashed banana, egg, oil, and vanilla extract until uniform. Then mix in brown sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well-combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips (or other mix-ins).
- On a non-stick mini muffin tray, spray 24 of the mini muffin cups with non-stick spray. Then distribute batter evenly among the 24 mini muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-13 minutes, until edges just start to turn golden and toothpick stuck in center comes out clean with maybe a couple crumbles (but no raw batter).
- Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
Makes about 24 mini muffins at roughly 85 calories per mini muffin. Great for breakfast, snacks, and dessert!
Shout out to Sugar Spun Run for their tasty and simple Easy Brownies from Scratch recipe, which provided the base for my adaptations. You can check out their recipe here: https://sugarspunrun.com/brownies-from-scratch/
Triple Chocolate Banana Brownies
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp (imitation) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats, ground into flour using a blender or food processor
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, warm butter and 1/4 cup chocolate chips in the microwave just long enough to melt and stir smooth (20-30 sec).
- Add the mashed banana and sliced zucchini to the melted chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Add the brown and granulated sugars and stir well.
- Add the beaten yolks and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Add the cocoa powder, oat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt to the mixture and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips (alternatively, sprinkle on top after pouring batter into baking dish).
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour brownie batter into the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean (a couple crumbs are ok but no batter).
- Allow to cool at least 10-15 minutes (recommended at least an hour) before cutting and serving.
Roughly 110 calories per brownie. The great thing about these brownies are they are very forgiving if you overcook them! The banana, zucchini, and oat flour add depths of richness and moistness that make these brownies take a little longer to cook but resists drying out if you leave them in a few minutes too long (yes, i accidentally tried this). Definitely let them cool as long as you can before cutting though or you might end up with brownie crumble instead.